I was playing around with some colours today and the final look actually turned out pretty great! 😛 I have hooded eyes so I thought this might be a great tutorial (kind of?) for those with similar eyes. I’m still learning and can definitely improve, so any feedback is welcome. Please don’t mind my pores and skin texture 😓 I didn’t put on any face makeup while experimenting with this look besides concealer around my brows.
Urban Decay Primer Potion – Original
This is my ride-or-die eye primer, and makes my eye makeup look amazing and last aaallll day long. I wrote a blog post on how awesome it really is – check it out here.
On my eyebrows:
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pomade – Dark Brown (used with a ABH #12 brush)
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz – Dark Brown (to precisely draw the tails)
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer – Light/Medium Neutral (applied with a flat concealer brush to carve out my eyebrows)
Anastasia Beverly Hills – Modern Renaissance Palette
I only used Buon Fresco from this palette as a base shade. Usually for a base I use a neutral or yellow-toned shade similar to my skin tone, but I went for a grey-pink instead since it goes with the blue/purple theme. I used a fluffy eye brush to sweep this shade all over the lid, from my lash line to above my crease.
Make Up For Ever Artist Palette Vol 2
- I took a flat eyeshadow brush and packed on the purple shade (S-904) to my eyelid, stopping at my crease.
- When I was satisfied with the level of pigment, I used a fluffy blending brush to blend out the harsh edges.
- I cleaned off my flat eyeshadow brush and coated it with the turquoise shade (ME-232). I packed this onto the very centre of my eyelid, blending the colour slightly but focusing it on one spot.
- I used a pencil brush on my bottom lash line to mimic what was happening on top: running purple (S-904) on the outer edge and turquoise (ME-232) in the middle.
As you can see in the first picture, the skin above my eyelid covers anything applied on the lid itself. With hooded eyes, it’s really important to apply and blend colour above the crease so that it’s visible. 💡
Nyx Prismatic Eyeshadow – PS08 Blue Jeans
With the flat eyeshadow brush again, I used this shimmery blue shade and applied it on both sides of the turquoise shade, hitting the inner and outer thirds of my eyelid.
I used the fluffy blending brush and went back in with the purple shade, blending along my crease to make sure everything transitioned well.
Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner – Black
This is another ride-or-die product of mine. THIS IS THE BEST LIQUID EYELINER ON THE MARKET. NO DOUBT. 😍😍 I’ve tried so many formulas (drugstore, KVD) and this is my favourite. It excels in every department: pigment, ease of application, longevity (it doesn’t start to dry out until after a year), and lasting power (it stays on my oily eyelids for 24 hours). In the article above about the UD primer, I also write about this! Definitely give it a try if you have trouble with liner staying on your eyelids. You’re welcome.
Ardell Studio Effects – Demi Wispies
These lashes are very voluminous and have a cat eye effect, so the lashes are longest on the outer corners. I realized after applying these that it’s not the best shape for my eye, so sorry if the lashes look a little weird. 😥 They’re really nice lashes otherwise, though.
House of Lashes Lash Glue – Black
I’m pretty new to using false lashes so I did some research online for what the best glue is. I tried the Ardell and Duo lash glues (both clear) but they had a weird fishy smell and didn’t last very long. I love this one though, especially how it dries black so it blends into my eyeliner.
- I used mascara just on my bottom lashes but I have so few of them you can barely see them. I won’t name the mascara I used because it isn’t a favourite and didn’t do anything amazing.
- I should have added an inner corner highlight, but I didn’t want to ruin this look just in case I messed it up haha.
- I probably should have put more eyeliner on after applying lashes but my hooded eyes have very limited lid space so I didn’t want to thicken the line more.
And that’s it for this look! It turned out way better than I thought it would, and is perfect for festival season 🦄 I’d probably use some setting spray on top of it to lock it in, and carry my lash glue with me in case the corners start to lift. Thanks for reading! 😘😘